Veterans/ Military Members

I am actively serving in the military or I am in the reserves, a veteran or a military family member.

  1. Complete a College Application
  2. Submit DD214
  3. Apply for Financial Aid at
  4. Contact your high school guidance office to request an official transcript be sent to Riverland or submit a copy of your GED certificate.
  5. Contact Mark Larsen, Minnesota Department of Veteran’s Affair’s regional coordinator for veteran education benefits at 507-779-9375 or and arrange a meeting. He is usually at the Riverland campuses in Albert Lea and Austin on Mondays, in the morning and afternoon respectively. Mark will help you with a number of benefits.
    1. Confirming which GI Bill benefits you are eligible for, and in the case of multiple benefits explain what each will include, so that you can decide which is best for your situation and goals.
    2. Help you complete the application for the GI Bill benefit you choose to use.
    3. Order your military transcripts and have them sent directly to the college.
    4. Discuss what other veteran benefits may be available to you above and beyond GI Bill benefits.
  6. Assessment/NSR/Advising
    1. After you are accepted, it is required to attend New Student Registration (NSR) and Accuplacer.  NSR includes orientation, Accuplacer testing, advising, class registration and information on accessing your Riverland accounts.  The location of your registration session is determined by your program/major. The Accuplacer is a computerized test used to determine your readiness for college level course work.  You may complete both NSR & Accuplacer on the same day or select two separate days. You must pre-register to attend.  More information is available at
  7. Apply for Riverland Scholarships
  8. Buy your books at the Riverland Bookstore
  9. Pay your tuition on time, view tuition due dates