Riverland Science Technology Engineering Prep (R-Step) Academy
The R-STEP Academy is a free program for teens and young adults between the ages of 16 and 22. At R-Step, students have the opportunity to prepare for college by taking pre-college Math, Reading and Writing. Students will explore STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) curriculum, applied learning activities, STEM-based project learning, and field trips in the Academy.
This eight-week program will increase students’ knowledge and skills through:
- College-level courses in Math, English, and First Year Experience (MATH-1110: College Algebra. ENGL-1101: Composition I, and CCLS-1000)
- Blended learning (Online/In-Class)
- Applied research methods, guest speakers, STEM-based activities, field trips
Upon completion, R-STEP participants will earn 7 College credits – FREE!
Students receive guidance and support through dedicated instructors, advisors, counselors and tutors. Students will also benefit from the educational seminars designed for college success and participate in leadership, volunteer and educational activities and field trips throughout the summer.
Important Dates to Remember
- Academy Dates: June 11th, 2019 - August 1st, 2019
- Application Deadline: April 15, 2019 - Space is limited!
What We Do:
- We establish a learning community where students learn, study and explore together
- We explore STEM and the how it impacts our local and regional economies
- We provide support through dedicated instructors, advisors, counselors and tutors
- We enjoy fun out-of-class activities and events to reinforce learning
- We encourage students to learn what classroom styles work the best for them
- We work together to set personal and career goals
- Improve reading, writing, math, communication, and study skills
- Increase confidence, leadership skills and motivation for college
- Recognize the importance of STEM curriculum
- Receive career exploratory advice and opportunities for future employment
- Identify their learning style
- Develop education and career plans
- Experience college life and are able to access campus resources
- Become involved in their community