Military Credits

Recent legislation in Minnesota requires Minnesota State Colleges and Universities to review military academic transcripts and give appropriate credit based on the American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations. The transfer specialist will review your military training based upon the American Council of Education standards for Military Programs and provide you a copy of your Degree Audit Report (DARS) indicating what was accepted in transfer. If you have questions about your evaluation, please contact the Registrar’s Office for an explanation of your evaluation. Check your military course equivalencies.

Obtaining credits
Credit for Army training may be obtained by submitting an Army/American Council on Education Registry System transcript from the Army directly to the college or university. ACE (American Council on Education) translates military courses and occupations into academic credit and provides guidelines to interpret and recommend credit for formal service-school courses, demonstrated proficiency in military occupations and college-level tests. Service members must have separated or retired by 1981.

Credit for Sailor and Marine training may be obtained by submitting a Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART). Service members must have separated or retired from active duty on or after October 1, 1999.

Credit for Air Force training may be obtained by submitting a request to the Community College of the Air Force or going to the nearest Air Force base education office. Service members with credits/training for the Army pre-1981 and Sailors/Marines pre-1999 must request a DD295 and submit it for college credit award review. Saint Paul College uses A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services as a guide to award credit for military learning.

DANTES—Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support
The DANTES program supports the voluntary educational program for active military personnel and members of the National Guard and Reserves. The DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSSTs), however, are now available for use by civilians at universities and colleges throughout the country. The DSSTs are a series of examinations in various college and technical subjects. The DSST program allows students the opportunity to demonstrate college-level learning acquired outside the classroom. All tests carry ACE (American Council on Education) credit recommendations. Riverland Community College will honor the ACE recommendation and accept courses applicable to a program or course of study.

SOC—Service Members Opportunity Colleges
Recognizing the problems faced by military students whose jobs require frequent moves, SOC member schools make it easier to obtain college degrees by the following:

  • Limiting the amount of coursework students must take at a single college to no more than 25% of degree requirements;
  • Designing transfer practices to minimize loss of credit and avoid duplication of course work;
  • Awarding credit for military experience; and
  • Awarding credit for tests such as CLEP, RCEP and DSST national testing programs.

Colleges and universities that participate in the network degree programs for the Army, Navy and Marine Corps agree to:

  • Guarantee to accept each other’s courses in transfer within curriculum areas such as management, computer studies, interdisciplinary studies and others.
  • Award credit for military service schools and occupational experience.

Military Resources
Veterans and service members may be eligible to receive credit for their military and prior learning experiences-helping further their military career or preparing them for civilian career. These resources can help explore veteran and service member transfer options.

DANTES-Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support/DSST

Military Transfer - Veterans Education Transfer System (VETS)

Military Legislation
Provides information about the statute regarding the recognition of military courses.

Military Transcript and other resources
Links to “” to access military transcript request links and many other military resources.

Veterans and Service members resources
Provides education, career and life planning, financial transfer and policy resources or connect directly to any of the other Minnesota State College and Universities.

Veterans Education Transfer System (VETS)
An online application that helps past, present, and future service members determine how their military training can count for credit at Minnesota State Colleges and Universities institutions.

MyMIlitary GPS LifePlan
Help Veterans, Service members and their families set goals and design plans that will lead them to the success they desire.

Your VA Certifying Official